Saturday, November 21, 2009

Improvisational Sarah

I am so tired of the whole Sarah-thing, but, like so many others, I am transfixed by the soap opera elements of the story. I sometimes feel like I'm back in the costume shop in college, hemming someone's tunic while I watch "As the World Turns." Only, it's "As Sarah Goes On and On," instead.
The scary thing is, I think I have some insight into her catastrophic responses to questions. She just doesn't REMEMBER what she said. You see, the down side to being a drama queen is that you are swept away as you give yourself totally to whatever character you are creating at the moment. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. I'm trained as an actor because that was what I did most of my life anyway.
Unfortunately, if you create that character as an improv, instead of following a script, you are not able to accurately recreate the moment, ever again. So, she's not actually LYING - she just doesn't remember how she played it the first time. She should probably stick to a script....
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.fom/the_daily_dish/2008/11/the-odd-lies--7.htmle

No comments: