Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Identity Crisis

I've been out of town for a few days and was fortunate enough to be somewhat limited in my access to news and information: no tv, mediocre radio reception, no newspaper delivery, and excruciatingly slow internet connection that subtracts minutes directly from the cell phone allotment. That's right, we were on The Boat. I love saying that. I think it makes me sound exotic and interesting. I don't usually follow the statement with the news that we were on the boat in the marina because it is, after all, 35 years old and we currently can't back out of the slip because of some sort of fuel system problem that leaves us without mechanical power. If we could sail in and out it would be fine, but that's not happening in this lifetime. Then there's that pesky problem with the head odor. We've replaced the toilet and the sewage treatment system and the hoses and it just seems to be getting worse. Next step, unfortunately, is to remove the old pump and lines to the unused holding tank. THAT will be fun. Maybe next month.
The up side to all of this is that even just sitting on the boat in the marina is pretty fabulous. Hours of reading, interrupted by people watching on the dock and the occasional walk up to the QFC for ice. Oh, yes, and driving over to the Fox Island Bridge to buy fresh crab and corn and beefsteak tomatoes for dinner. I have few complaints.
That leads to my dilemma. What is this blog going to be? A foodie journal? A unionist manifesto? A ship's log? A personal history for my grandson? A garden journal? An ongoing indictment of international corporations and the American health care system? True to my tendencies, I'm afraid I'm an electronic generalist, bouncing from topic to topic. Oh, well, at least I'm consistent...

No comments: